It is very worrying every time we see our kids fall sick and we have hard time trying to focus every time it happens.
What is diarrhoea?
It is a situation where one pass stools which are loose or(or and) watery or increased frequency of pooping.
Just so you know, diarrhoea is a symptoms of a disease instead of a disease itself. It may be due to these main causes
- Diet. This is for the case of non disease. This happens when they take in juices with high fructose and sorbitol.
- Intestinal microflora. Number and types of microorganisms living in intestine differ from people to people. Some would promote looser poops.
- Infection. This may be viral, or bacterial infection. But it always come together with fever and some other symptoms (which is very obvious).
To be noted
- Sport drinks. Some think it is okay to drink, but it is not recommended to be used to recover kids from diarrhea.
- Check for bloody stools, kids don’t know and they most probably won’t inform you about this, if you found blood there, go to the doctor.
- Keep a food diary of your kids, write it in amount, frequency and diarrhoea timing, it will help doctor to diagnose the cause if it is not normal diarrhoea.
- Increase fiber intake. Quick science fact: Fiber works by absorbing water and therefore it helps to reduce the wateriness of diarrhoea.
It requires your attention
Though the diarrhoea may be harmless, it may be harmful too! Be very noted with what your kids tell you and what is happening to them.
- Gary, R.F., David, O.M. and Miguel, G.O. (n.d.). Patient education: Acute diarrhea in children (Beyond the Basics). Retrieved 27 December 2019, from https://www.uptodate.com/contents/acute-diarrhea-in-children-beyond-the-basics
- MedlinePlus. (2019, December 2). When your child has diarrhea. Retrieved 27 December 2019, from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000693.htm
- Ruben, J.R. (2016, January 27). The Meal Plan to Relieve Toddler Diarrhea. Retrieved 27 December 2019, from https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/food-for-toddler-with-diarrhea
- WebMD. (2001, August 21). Finding the Best Drink When Your Child Has Diarrhea. Retrieved 27 December 2019, from https://www.webmd.com/children/news/20010821/finding-best-drink-when-your-child-has-diarrhea#1