This is quite fresh for most of you, but there are scientific links between hormone and cancers.
What kind of hormone are they?
- Estrogen. Female sex hormone, also called as oestrogen, serves to promote sexual development in girls, mainly made in ovaries; but also present in men at small amount
- Progesterone. Another female sex hormone, also mainly made in ovaries. It helps controlling menstrual cycle and play a role in breastfeeding as well as pregnancy; present in small amount in men.
- Testosterone. Male sex hormone. Functioning to maintain muscle, sperm making and sex drive for men; present in small amount in women.
Why do this kind of link present?
Don’t be scared, hormones are useful only for some types of cancers, helping tumours to grow and spread.
What are the cancers then?
- Breast cancer. Some type of breast cancer need progesterone and estrogen to grow.
- Ovarian cancer. Estrogen can affect this cancer
- Prostate cancer. This caner can be grown and spread well with the help of testosterone and the similar hormones.
There are so many things for science to explore for us before we, humans can fully understand and solve the cancer. Be sure to TELL doctor / professionals before you take any HORMONE THERAPY!
- National Cancer Institute. (n.d.). Hormones. Retrieved 5 December 2019, from https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/hormones
- Cancer Research UK. (n.d.). Sex hormones and cancer. Retrieved 5 December 2019, from https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/physically/sex-hormone-symptoms/sex-hormones
- WebMD. (2017, October 23). What Are Hormone-Sensitive Cancers? Retrieved 5 December 2019, from https://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/hormone-sensitive-cancers