Anemia happens when one doesn’t have enough healthy red blood cell to carry oxygen around his or her body. Also, anemia has many forms, with severity ranging from mild to severe, and it can be temporary or long term. Here, we are discussing about common anemia on women, iron-deficiency anemia.
How prevalence is anemia?
Don’t you see a pretty similar trend over there? Yes, women who hadn’t had menopause have greater risk to anemia than menopause women and men. In United States, there is only 2 percent of men suffering from anemia as compared to 20 percent of women.
- Chest pain
- Cold hands and feet
- Shortness of breath
But just by having these symptoms doesn’t mean you are having anemia, but if you can’t find any other causes, anemia may be one to be noted on.
Take more iron. It is self-explanatory that you need to eat foods with irons. The examples include fish, meat, leafy green vegetables and nuts.
Take in more folate. A scientific study shows that taking iron and folate together can have better effect in solving iron-deficiency anemia. The sources are: nuts, beans, citrus fruits and green leafy vegetables.
Consider taking supplements. If dietary intake for iron and folate is not enough, having a supplement would be a good idea.
Please approach healthcare professionals and ask for measurement on hemoglobin and hematocrit if you suspect you are the one.
- Erica, H. (2019, April 25). Can Anemia Kill You?. Retrieved 26 October 2019, from https://www.healthline.com/health/can-anemia-kill-you
- IndexMundi. (n.d.). Malaysia – Prevalence of anemia [image]. Retrieved 26 October 2019, from https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/malaysia/prevalence-of-anemia
- Jorge, J., Erminio, B. and Aurelio, S. (2003, December 22). Iron plus folate is more effective than iron alone in the treatment of iron deficiency anaemia in pregnancy: a randomized, double blind clinical trial. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics,109(9),1009-14.
- Rachna, P. (2014, November 10). Why anaemia is more prevalent in women. Retrieved 26 October 2019, from https://www.newtimes.co.rw/section/read/182873
- https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/school”>School photo created by yanalya – www.freepik.com