Continuing to the next cancer, prostate cancer the 6th rank in most frequent cancer in Malaysia.
Just like the case for breast cancer, we don’t know the exact cause, but these are the risk factors for prostate cancer.
- Age. Risk increases as we age.
- Family history. Having family member that have had prostate cancer or breast cancer or ovarian cancer will give you higher risk to get prostate cancer too.
- Obesity. Obese men with this cancer tend to be harder to treat.
- Smoking. Smokers have higher risk to get aggressive prostate cancer.
- Sedentary lifestyle. People who sit for a long time are easier to get aggressive prostate cancer too.
- Quit smoking. If you need help, you may refer to our “How to quit smoking effectively”.
- Exercise. It reduces risk of developing this cancer and at the same time help losing weight.
- Talk to doctor if you are at high risk. Doctors can offer you medications to lower down the risk.
Help people around you
Malaysia men are always diagnosed at late age and more than half are detected at late stage, if you could spread this knowledge to them, you will help them a lot! Thank you!
- American Cancer Society. (n.d.). Prostate Cancer Risk Factor. Retrieved 10 December 2019, from https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/causes-risks-prevention/risk-factors.html
- MayoClinic. (2019, April 17). Prostate cancer Symptoms & causes. Retrieved 10 December 2019, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prostate-cancer/symptoms-causes/syc-20353087
- National Cancer Society Malaysia. (n.d.). Prostate Cancer Screening. Retrieved 10 December 2019, from https://cancer.org.my/get-screened/cancer-screening-clinics/prostate-cancer-screening/
- Prostate cancer a growing problem in Malaysia. (2014, September 27). Retrieved 10 December 2019, from https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2014/09/27/prostate-cancer-a-growing-problem-in-malaysia/753187
- Tricia, K. (2019, January 14). Everything You Want to Know About Prostate Cancer. Retrieved 10 December 2019, from https://www.healthline.com/health/prostate-cancer