“My knee cap makes sound whenever I am walking or bending, is there some problem on my knee?” Now we are solving this mystery for you.
Why it happens
Just so you know, another term for this is “crepitus”. In the areas surrounding the joint, gas can build up and in fluids there, and some of the bubbles (gas) will burst when you walk or bend your knee. Then, you hear the sound, simple and easy.
But the same thing can happen when one has arthritis (name for having joint damage).
How to differentiate
Be noted that the difference is pain. And of course, medical causes related to this are more than just arthritis, there are chondromalacia patella, patellofemoral syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis and so on. But we are not going any deeper on these diseases.
The rule of thumb here is to approach the doctors when your crepitus happens together with the feeling of pain.
Healthy knee tips
- Have a healthy weight
- Warming up before exercises
- Exercise regularly
- Get a suitable sized shoe for yourself
- Proper posture
To round it up
The highlight here is “if your “popping sound” comes with pain, go to the doctor”. Having a bad knee will make your life very bad, we hope the points above help.
- Lisa, O.H. (2014, June 3). What Is Your Knee Telling You?. Retrieved 1 November 2019, from https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/features/knee-cracks-pops#1
- Rachel, B. (n.d.). Crepitus in the Knee. Retrieved 1 November 2019, from https://www.arthritis-health.com/types/general/crepitus-knee
- Leslie, V. (2014, April 14). Arthritis Knee Noise: Crepitus and Popping Explained. Retrieved 1 November 2019, from https://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis/crepitus
- Shawn, B. (2013, December 6). By Itself, Knee “Crunching” Sound Generally Not Cause For Concern. Retrieved 1 November 2019, from https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/by-itself-knee-crunching-sound-generally-not-cause-for-concern/
- https://www.freepik.com/free-photos-vectors/office”>Office photo created by freepik – www.freepik.com